Long time ago, Batavia is the capital of Indonesia. But now they changed the names into "Jakarta". "Soto betawi" is one of traditional dish in Batavia. Served on any special ocassion likes wedding ceremony. "Soto betawi" is soupy dish, served with tomato, boiled egg, boiled potato and melinjo cracker. Very nice accompanion with steam rice.
- tenderloin beef 1/2kg
- coconut milk (thick)250 ml
- bay leaves 2
- lemon grass 2 stick
- lemon leaf 3
- spring onion -------> for sprinkle
- water 500 ml
- garlic 7 cloves, crushed
- shallot 2 big size, crushed
- candle nuts 3, crushed
- turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- white paper 1 tsp
- salt and sugar to tasted
- 1 potato, big size, boiled and peeled
- 1 tomato ripe, choped
- spring onion, for sprinkle
- melinjo crackers, u can subtitute with prawn crakers
- sambal olek or chili paste
- Washed beef then cooked with pressure cooker by adding water until tender for 3 times vessel. Drained then Cut into 1cm cubes, set aside.
- Heat oil in wok then saute, onion, shalot, and candle nut stir fry for 2 min. add lemon grass, lemon leaf, and bay leaf
- Add 500 ml water then put turmeric, salt sugar and white papper.
- Add beef cubes and bring to boiled
- Pour coconut milk into the soup
- Let it boiled one more time for futher minute
- Arrange boiled potato, tomato, boiled egg and melinjo cracker in bowl then pour the soup
- Served with sambal olek and sliced lemon
U can subtitute coconut milk with evorated milk.