Dosa is common for South Indian breakfast with varous accompany likes shambar and cutney.
Ingedirent for Dosa:
2 cups (360 g) rice
1/2 cup (90 g) split and husked Bengal Gram
1/2 tsp fenugreek seed
2 tsp salt
Oil for cooking dosas
- Soak rice, daal, and fenugreek seeds together overnight.
- Grind these ingredients together to a very smooth.
- Add the salt and enough water to make into a dropping consistency, and leave to rise for 5-6 hours, or overnight.
- Check consistency of the batter, and if needed, add enough water to make into a smooth pouring consistency.
- Heat tava (dosa pan) very hot, splash a little water over it, and with a ladle, immediately pour some batter onto it, spreading it thin, with a circular motion.
- Lower the heat and put a little oil around the edges. When edges start browning a bit, it is almost done.
- Served with chutney and sambhar
coconut 1 cup (freshly grated)
fresh green or red chilies 2 (chopped)
garlic 1 clove (optional)
water 1 cup
Salt as per taste
vegetable oil 1 tsp
black mustard seeds 1 tsp
urad dhal 1 tsp
curry leaf 1 spring
- Grind all the Ingredients, except seasoning
- Blend the mixture until it forms a coarse paste. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Heat the oil and when it is hot, add the mustard seeds and urad dhal.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add the curry leaves.
- Quicky stir the mustard seed mixture into the pureed coconut mixture.